Gross Things Found in Food
Recently, Queensland resident Marc Nicholls made national headlines after finding what appeared to be a chicken lung in his KFC meal:
Mr Nicholls was disgusted, vowing never to eat at KFC again:
No, never again, absolutely – it made me feel like I don’t want to eat any meat again.
This case was not an isolated incident. Every year, countless similar stories hit the headlines. Let’s take a look at some of the most gruesome ones ….
A woman in the US was shocked to find live worms wriggling around in the salmon flesh she was about to cook.
After watching a video of one of the worms crawling out of the fish, Dr Fiona Baird from James Cook University stated:
“[It] probably was Anisakis simplex.”
Dr Baird added that “if consumed alive”, it “will give you gastroenteritis (ie, diarrhea and vomiting). It’s a very common fish parasite and is found in the gut of the fish”.
Canadian serial killer and pig farmer Robert Pickton was convicted in 2007 of the murders of a number of women.
He had attempted to cover up the evidence of his crimes by allegedly feeding the women’s remains to the pigs on his farm, and local health authorities issued an alert stating that there was a “possibility” that “[c]ross-contamination could mean that human remains did get into or contaminate some of the pork meat that was produced”.
Yes, you read that correctly. Faecal matter was confirmed to be present in chocolate gelato served to two customers of the Coogee Bay Hotel in New South Wales, who later became ill as a result of ingesting it. Stephen and Jessica Whyte had complained about poor service in the hotel before being served the gelato.
Three McDonald’s franchises in Western Australia were fined after they were discovered selling a number of items which breached the Food Standards Code. These included the following:
- A chicken wrap containing half raw meat
- An iced coffee with a cockroach inside
- A pancake with a cricket cooked into the batter
Of course, the most distasteful ingredient in any animal-derived food is the suffering and cruelty behind every bite.
Make the compassionate choice by opting for fresh, healthy, plant-based meals – and let us help!