What Is Gelatine Made Of?
It’s probably no coincidence that “gelatine” rhymes with “skeleton”, because that’s exactly what it is – animal bones, along with skin, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage, all boiled together with water into a goo. It’s usually obtained from cows or pigs.
Where Is It Found?
Why Is It Used?
Gelatine is used as a binder in most of these products. Thankfully, though, plenty of plant-based binding agents work just like gelatine and are used in vegan products. Check out the handy lists below:
- Black & Gold Milk Bottles
- Bols (Kmart) Sour Straps (Cola, Rainbow, and Strawberry)
- Candy Lush Love Bears, Smoothie Bottle Lollies, and Tropical Wonder Lollies
- Candy Queens (all products)
- Chupa Chups (Cola and Fruit)
- Coles Lemon Sherbet
- Dandies Marshmallows
- Darrell Lea Liquorice (Original and Raspberry)
- Darrell Lea Liquorice Twists (Grape, Original, and Raspberry)
- Eco Vital Fruit Gummy Bears, Fruity Hearts, Fruity Snakes, Jelly Fruits, and Wine Gums
- Freedom Mallows
- Fruit-tella Jelly Sweets Gelatine Free Sour Wigglers and Gelatine Free Hippos
- Homebrand Sour Straps
- Hubba Bubba Bubble Gum
- J Luehders Soft Candy (Exotic Fruits, Fruity Flowers, and Red Berries)
- Jelly Belly Chewy Candy (Sour Strawberry, Sour Apple, Sour Lemon, Sour Orange, and Sour Grape)
- JOM Organic Candy (Fizzy Caramel and Juicy Peach)
- Kuhbonbon Vegan Double Choc Caramels
- Life Savers (Pep O Mint)
- Natural Confectionary Co. Vegan Fruity Flavoured Jellies
- Organic Times Berry Jellies
- The Red Balloon (all products)
- Ricci Licorice
- Sour Patch Kids
- Super Fudgio (Chocolate Fudge and Toffee Fudge)
- V Sweet Australia (all products)
- X-treme Sour Straps
- Wizz Fizz Sherbet
- Wonka Long Lasting Gobstoppers
- Woolworths Sour Straps (Strawberry)
- Woolworths Spearmint Leaves
- Zappo Sour Straws
- Aeroplane Glitter Jelly (Berry Blue, Lime, and Strawberry)
- Aeroplane Ready to Eat Jelly Snacks (Orange, Raspberry, and Strawberry)
- Woolworths Jelly in a pouch (Mango, Orange, Raspberry, and Strawberry)
Not only can your cosmetics contain gross ingredients like gelatine, they can also be tested on animals in laboratories. Check out our list of cruelty-free and vegan cosmetics here.
Have we missed something? Tell us about your favourite gelatine-free treats and we’ll add them to this list.
Note: Product ingredients can change at any time. It’s always best to check the labels yourself before purchasing.